Sunday, December 9, 2007

Trauma Kit VS. First Aid Kit


Yesterday I had to re-certify for my CPR/First Aid. This class was so much faster than my first class, thank goodness!! I was only there 2 hours, instead of the original 8. And it really helped that the hottee instructor was funny. So after learning that the original 1 to 5 and 2 to 15 cycles were changed to 2 to 30 cycles I got to practice on the "dummy", and then finished up our class. But our hottee instructor finished up with this really interesting side note. He is currently in the Air Force Med Something, Something, Something and has been around the world 7 times. He is working at UMed when he isn't being pulled into different countries to do whatever it is he does there and thinks that Utah is one of the biggest "Good Samaratian" states he has ever been in. However, he said for as many people that are here to help in trauma situations, no one really carries a Trauma Kit. He said everyone has a First Aid Kit, but no one ever has Trauma Kits. So what is the difference? Good question! That's what I asked! Here's the break down..........First Aid Kit: usually holds band-aids, anti-septic, blanket, alcohol swabs, q-tips and some guaze squares. Trauma Kit: will hold 10 to 12 feminine product pads, 7 to 8 tampons, a roll of vet tape (or duct tape, but it isn't as forgiving, but will do), blankets and an anti-histamine (benadryl, liquid form). Toby said you could go to Walmart, Cabella's or any type of Medical Supply store and pick up a pre-packaged Trauma Kit, but that he's found the most useful and less expensive kit was put together on your own. He liked a homemade kit for one really big reason, YOU know what is in it and where to find what you're looking for. So after learning this, I looked at the kit I have in my Jeep and sure enough! I have a First Aid Kit. He said the best thing I could do with the q-tips in my trauma situation was calm the person down and then clean out their ears! And he was right, there wasn't anything in my kit that would help me in a trauma situation. So for Christmas this year, I've decided that for every gift I give to Friends and Family, they will also get their very own Trauma Kit! I know its tacky, but hey! Its also useful! So Merry Christmas Everyone!!
And just my own little side note, I got to play with the Defibulator and learned that under the "Good Samaratian" Law I can actually shock you 2 to 3 times without "realizing" that you are breathing on your own and still get away with it. So just to all of those who called me a "Tacky Little Whore!!" just know, if I defibulate you, you're going to get it!!