Wednesday, June 17, 2009

These Quiet Moments..........

I just finished a hair cut on one of the boys in the group home. He got up early this morning in hopes I could cut his hair before I took him to his Mother's funeral. Its been a sad few days. I found out about his mother on Saturday & he was just told yesterday. It is sad to hear of someone ending their own life by their own hands. I've had several conversations with this kid since hearing about his mother. He's laughed, smiled and joked around with me. Its been weird knowing that his whole world is about to change and that its going to be a while before I see him smile, laugh or joke around again. I never expect these things to affect me much, the reality of the situation is that I didn't know her. But for whatever reason, this has really made an impact and I'm not quite sure why. But as I went about cutting his hair and attempted to take his mind off of what the day held for him, I kept going back to how sad it is that this young cute kid, would never be touched by his mother again. He would never be hugged by her again. She'd never ruffle his hair again. And what was even more saddening was the fact that she hadn't done any of these things in months. And again, the reality of the situation is that this was a blessing in disguise for him. And as I had all these thoughts running through my head he asked me if it was alright if he just sat with me until it was time to go. I'm sure I gave him a perplexed look because he followed that up with, its nice to just be able to sit and think around you.
I know when I was offered this position last summer, that it was where I needed to be. I have had no doubt that I was meant to be in this home at this time. This has been one of several quiet moments where I knew this is why I am where I am. That I was meant to help a lost little spirit find a place where they could think.

1 comment:

Tara Priddis said...

I'm glad he could take a quiet moment in a time of loudness and confusion.